2014-01-17

DIY Open Terrarium


Coming back to a cramped dorm room after a nice month in a house isn't exactly easy or fun. I've been obsessed with terrariums for the longest time now, and felt inspired to create one as a decoration for my room. I love the creativity involved with the process of making a terrarium--choosing plants, picking rocks and soil, adding decor, and finding a container. (Have you seen light bulb terrariums? So adorable!) 


Supplies:
small plants (number depends on size of container)
activated carbon (can be found in pet supply stores by the aquarium filters)
soil
small pebbles
container of choice


I started with a glass bowl from Hobby Lobby since it doesn't take up too much space and 3 small plants can still fit inside of it.
First, add a layer of activated carbon to the bottom of the bowl, which will help prevent excess moisture.
Cover that carbon layer with a layer of small pebbles. (I purchased mine from Dollar Tree.) Sprinkle a small amount of soil over the pebbles so that the rocks are thinly covered.
Next, remove your plants from any pots they may already be in, and arrange them inside of the container to your preference. 

The plants I used were: Monanthus subcrassican ("Tiny Bush Jade"), Echeveria gibbiflora ("Sovereign Blue"), and Peperomia ferreyrae. The employees at my local nursery were extremely helpful with identifying low-maintenance succulents--definitely talk to them if you get a chance! But also don't hesitate to just go for something and see if it works out! That's half the fun. :)
Continue adding soil around the plants, so that the roots are covered and the surface is even. Brush off any soil that may be covering your beautiful plants!

Add any embellishments you wish to, like rocks or figurines.

And you have your own open terrarium!

Ashley//

No comments:

Post a Comment