"What I really fear is time. That's the devil: whipping us on when we'd rather loll, so the present sprints by, impossible to grasp, and all is suddenly past, a past that won't hold still, that slides into these inauthentic tales. My past--it doesn't feel real in the slightest. The person who inhabited it is not me. It's as if the present me is constantly dissolving. There's that line of Heraclitus: 'No man steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man...' We enjoy this illusion of continuity, and we call it memory. Which explains, perhaps, why our worst fear isn't the end of life but the end of memories."
"Global Warming Good for Ice Creams"
As of late, I've been reading The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman. The book follows the lives of various employees for an international newspaper in Italy, from the editor-in-chief to the correspondent in Cairo. What makes it interesting is that the book highlights a different character in each chapter, revealing their personal problems and thoughts, rather than acting as continuous narrative centered on one plot or conflict. Yet, the individual stories remain interwoven due to the fact that these characters all work for the paper and are constantly interacting with each other. As I read on, I find myself developing sympathy for each new character Rachman introduces. I recommend picking this one up, especially if journalism interests you!
Ashley//
No comments:
Post a Comment